Teaching beginners to snow kite is a passion for us. We love seeing people grasp the basics and seeing the big smiles on their faces as they learn to move with the wind. If you want to learn, we want to teach you.
Snowkiting is easy to learn compared to kitesurfing and with expert guidance you can progress much more quickly than you might think. we can help you progress from rookie to rockstar in a few easy steps.
Our beginners course is for people who can ski or snowboard to a reasonable level who want to learn how to snowkite. We would expect you to be comfortable skiing or boarding down a red run before we begin to teach you to use a kite on the snow.
If you can already kitesurf but need ski or snowboard lessons, we recommend you take some ski or board lessons with our friends at White World then come back to us and we’ll help you to put the two skills together.
We’ll teach you everything you need to know. Our beginners lessons are structured to teach you what you need to know in a specific order. That’s necessary for your safety, and to teach you the key skills you need to fly in a complementary order.
The basic steps are understanding the equipment and safety procedures; reading the weather and location; flying a trainer kite; learning precision bar control; flying a full size kite; learning how to move from a standing start on your board or skis; finally, making your first toe side turns while moving on the snow.
By the end of your beginners course you will have gained all the skills and confidence you need to get up on your board and ride the powder solo.
There is a fuller breakdown of the key skills you will learn in the tabs above.
Our beginners snowkiting course is scheduled to run over 3 days. You just come and meet us at White World with you usual board or ski gear and we’ll provide the rest. You’ll be guided to our exclusive snowkite zone by your instructor and once you’re there you’ll have the space and privacy to learn safely and quickly.
Because beginners need a high level of attention we highly recommend booking private lessons while you learn the basics. Private lessons are the quickest way for you to make progress, making progress will make you happy, and we want you to be happy. Once you’ve got the key skills down you might want to switch to semi private lessons to save a bit of money while you focus on improving more advanced skills.
All our snowkite lessons are focused on you and the way you want to learn – we understand that different people learn in different ways, and we have devised a training methodology that will help you learn in the way that suits you best. Some learn best by listening, some by watching and others by doing. Your instructor will make ongoing assessments as to which method suits you best, but if you want anything done differently, just ask.
||White World at the main gondola|
|DEPARTURE TIME||30 minutes before lesson is scheduled to begin|
|RETURN TIME||15 minutes after lesson ends|
|WEAR||You will need a polypropylene under layer for vipping sweat, thermal clothes for minus 20 conditions and preferably goretex as your outer layer for waterproofing|
|duration||3 days, 6 hours|
- Understand safe wind directions and conditions for kiting
- Identify hazards in a snowkiting spot
- Set up a foil and or a leading edge inflatable (LEI) kite with a full de-power system
- Learn the use of kite safety systems
- Learn to fly a trainer kite
- Launch and land a trainer kite with an assistant
- Twist and untwist the lines while flying the trainer kite
- Walk and change directions while flying the trainer kite
- Understand the wind window
- Set-up a leading edge inflatable (LEI) kite with a full de-power system
- Learn how to check safety equipment and settings before flying the kite
- Learn how to check equipment and settings in flight
- Understand and use the international communication signals
- Launch and land the kite to an assistant and as an assistant
- Control the kite while it’s hooked into the harness
- Understand the de-power system and learn to use the safety systems
- Learn advanced flying skills with the de-power kite
- Gain full control of de-power systems while the kite is in flight
- Learn to use the quick release and activate the leash
- Learn to recover the bar and kite
- Self land the kite
- Re-launch the kite from the snow
- Maintain correct kite position in the wind window
- Recover the kite and bar in the snow
- Understanding the theory of riding position and your body, board, balance.
- Knowing correct weight distribution in your body, hip, legs for upwind riding in the snow.
- First board starts and holding your edge
- Combing correct Kite control and power with board start
- First Superman (intentional or not)
- Control Edge of Board and power of Kite while maintaining speed
- Water starts in both directions and ride a short distance
- Come to a controlled stop
- Understand weather forecast, tide and wind effects
- Determine the wind strength, direction and quality
- Learn the right of way rules
- Know equipment set up and choice
- Control the riding speed by edging
- Consistent riding in both directions
- Consistent riding in all directions including upwind
- Ride amongst other riders and water users and respect right of way rules
- Change of direction without stopping
- Full pack-down in the snow
- Risk assessment and awareness of the riding area
- Self launch
- Make a toe side turn
- Knows the theory and the safety rules for jumping.
- Land a basic jump
When you learn all that you’re good to go kitesurfing on your own!